“No Survivors” Reported After Plane Crash in Alaska

(RepublicanJournal.org) – Flying is a very convenient way to get from place to place, especially over long distances. However, while it is often touted as safer than driving, there are always risks involved, particularly for smaller planes. In fact, there are around 1,000 small plane crashes each year resulting indozens of fatalities. A recent small plane crash in Alaska added to those statistics.

On Tuesday, April 23, two pilots were attempting to deliver heating oil to a remote Alaskan village when the vintage military plane they were chartering went down. The 54D-DC airplane, which was first commissioned during World War II, crashed just outside Fairbanks in the Tanana River. The pilots onboard were reportedly trying to return to the airport after announcing they had a fire onboard. Sadly, they never made it.

There was significant damage to the plane, which spread across a large area rife with open water and thin ice, making recovery efforts difficult. Rescuers and authorities were able to retrieve partial remains, which have been sent to the medical examiner’s office for identification. Cadaver dogs were brought to the scene to help.

It’s not clear what caused the crash, though Mike Emers, a farm worker, reported hearing an explosion. He called the state trooper’s dispatch line after failing to get through on 911, and then he and a few others went to check out the crash site, working to try to prevent the flames from spreading.

The National Transportation Safety Board sent investigators to the site and will carry out a probe into what caused the accident. The preliminary report is expected within the next 30 days. The final report, which will outline a probable cause, should be available within one to two years.

Alaska Air Fuels owned the aircraft, and this is the second plane crash the company has experienced in the last four years. The pilots in the accident were not named as of the time of writing.

Copyright 2024, RepublicanJournal.org